(HealthDay News) -- While your kids are walking around in costume on Halloween, they should be paying attention to their surroundings and avoiding cellphone use.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests:
- Avoid headphones, or at least lower the volume so you can still hear nearby cars and pedestrians.
- Step out of the flow of pedestrian traffic if you need to talk to someone or answer a phone call.
- Stay alert in parking lots and near streets, particularly when it's dark.
- Cross the street carefully, and only at a crosswalk.
- Pay careful attention as you step off a curb, walk through an intersection or approach stairs.